Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Winter Wonderland

I guess some may think of winter as wonderful.  Mila and I, not so much!  Winter is cold, its wet, it makes the roads slippery, and most of the time its just plain not so pretty (dirty brown snow and leafless trees).  Every once and awhile though we get a warmish winter day and the snow falls in big thick flakes.  These days I must admit are nice especially if you are a child.
  
sledding and ice hockey on our backyard dad made rink are the boys favorite winter activities and the only thing that stops them from there chilly outdoor fun are the 50 bellow temps we have been bearing through lately.  This weekend we got a lucky break, the temps went up and we got the chance to head out for a winter photoshoot : ).
Turns out Mila is a bit like her mother.  She was not very happy about the snow!  The photo shoot started like this-
 Untill she touched the snow and the rest of the pictures were like this-
Oh I m sure she will learn to love the snow.  Just not for this shoot : )

Week one for Project Run and Play is themed Winter Wonderland. I choose to use this blue lightweight knit.  It kinda looked to me like how the snow looks when you are driving at night through the wind shield.  It fit perfect with the theme.  The pattern is Figgy's Celestial Pullover pattern.  I really love this pattern, very quick and easy to create such an adorable top!
I pared up the top up with White flared pants.  The pattern is by Brownie Goose.
I did make a few changes, such as the pleat (not sure if that's the name for it) down the center of each leg.  Of course the white pants were inspired by snow.
 
I have blogged about both of these patterns before so I thought I should try to do something new.
 
I made a cape using the Capulet pattern by See Kate Sew.  I made a lot of changes to this.  First I lengthened it as much as my fabric would allow, than I added armholes, pockets, and a brim to the hood.  I absolutely LOVE how it turned out!  unfortunately I did not get any great photos of it. 
 
I did not want it to look too Christmassy so I added the little red riding hood appliques. 


The thing that is great about the cape is that I can put Mila in the car seat without a bulky coat and be able to get her out and just wrap her in the cape instead of putting a coat on. 
 
 
 
 
Now on to a movie theme.  I am thinking Beetlejuice!
Thanks for viewing  : )
 
 
 

13 comments:

  1. Oh it's so adorable! Can you make that exact cape in my size?? And funny you mentioned Beetlejiuce - I was just thinking about that last night! Can't wait to see what you come up with next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vonnie, we will see if I stick to the beeteljuice theme. I have changed me mind 3 times on the theme : )

      Delete
  2. Kimmie, you cape is super cute! Little Red Riding Hood was a fun choice to add to that cape. Aren't little toddlers a fun challenge to take photos of? Just saying, I'd cry too if someone made me sit outside in the snow.
    http://xoxograndma.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure are : ), i am looking forward to her walking! Pictures will be a little less of a challenge than : )

      Delete
  3. OH my gosh your pictures are adorably hilarious! But for real, that cape is gorgeous! I've sewn one of those Figgy's sweaters too, I just love that darn pattern company!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do love the pattern! It so quick to sew. I love that type : )

      Delete
  4. Too bad the photo-shoot did not go well, because your outfit is adorable! How cute is that red little riding hood cape on a little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What part of MN? I lived there last year. We loved it. That cape is so adorable!! I am in love.
    This is such a great winter wonderland look. Great Job!!
    with love,
    -Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, thanks! We are in southern MN, Mankato : )

      Delete
  6. The outfit is darling, but that little girl!!! She is such a doll!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That cape is gorgeous! And I love the shirt too. =D

    ReplyDelete